How to Create a Fusible Applique
Use fusible web and fabric to create an applique.
Appliqué can be done on many projects including quilts, clothing, bags, and so much more! Using fusible web makes creating this applique easy and fun. We hope once you watch this video you will be more confident to try your own applique project.
Tools you will need:
- Fusible Web
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Fabric to make the appliqué from
- Fabric to appliqué on
Creating the appliqué:
- Cut a piece of fusible web slightly larger than the piece you want to make into your appliqué.
- Place your fusible web glue-side down on the wrong-side of your appliqué fabric.
- Press your appliqué in place from the wrong-side using steam. First press your iron over one area for 10 to 15 seconds, then move to the next area and press again for 10 to 15 seconds until you have ironed the entire appliqué.
- Now cut out your appliqué.
- Remove the paper backing from the back of your appliqué piece.
- Position your appliqué on the right side of the fabric it's being applied to. Press your appliqué using steam. Press your iron over one area for 10 to 15 seconds, then move on to the next area and press again for 10 to 15 seconds until you have ironed the entire appliqué down. (You may want to use a pressing cloth for this step in order to protect your appliqué from damage.)
- Optional step: If you would like to make your appliqué more secure, stitch around the raw edge with a satin stitch or another decorative stitch.
Congratulations on completing your fusible appliqué project!