How to Make a Flange Pillow Part 1
In part one of our tutorial we cover making the pattern and cutting out the fabric.
- Measuring Tape
- Pattern Tracing Paper/Pellon
- Grid Ruler
Making the Pattern
- Measure the length and width of your pillow making sure to measure across the centre of the piece. Write down these measurements.
- On your pattern tracing paper/pellon draw a rectangle that is the same size as the measurements of your pillow. For this project we will only be sewing the sides and bottom of the pillow. The top will be placed on fold so write FOLD along the top line. Add a 1/2'' seam allowance to the sides of your rectangle and 3/4'' to the bottom. This extra seam allowance along the bottom is to accommodate a zipper if you wish to put one in.
- Take your pattern and fold it in half along your fold line and use some weights to hold the two layers in place. Cut out your pattern using paper scissors. Remove the weights and open out your pattern piece.
- For your flange pattern piece make a rectangle that is 1 1/2'' wide by the length of the side measurement of your pillow (in our video this was 13''). Add a 1/2" seam allowance around the whole piece. If you would like to remind yourself that this piece will be folded in half you can mark the halfway point with a dotted line.
Once your pattern is finished, take it to the fabric store to figure out how much fabric you will need. By taking your pattern with you, you can also decide if you need extra fabric if you would like to centre a specific motif on your pillow.
Cutting out your Pattern Pieces
- Place your pattern on the fabric while keeping in mind the grain of the fabric as well the placement of motifs. Use your weights to hold the pattern piece in place and cut out your main pillow piece.
- Place the pattern piece on your flange fabric with weights and cut this out as well. Make sure you have cut out two flange pieces so you have one for each side of your pillow.
Congratulations on cutting out your pillow pieces!
For part 2 click here: https://www.fabricana.com/blog/how-make-flange-pillow-part-2